Saturday, July 9, 2011

Boost Router Wifi Signal With Poweful Custom Firmware.

D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Gigabit Wireless RouterI live in a fairly large house. Recently I setup wireless internet at my home. It is cool because you don't have to play around with the messy cables. However when I am in my room the signal strength decreases gradually. Of course the obvious solution was to buy a much powerful (and expensive!) wireless router. Luckily a friend suggested me to flash my router with a more powerful and customiazble firmware.He suggsted DD-WRT. I did some research on this firmware before I rushed into playing with my router. As it turns out DR-WRT is the most reliable and powerful router firware available - for free!


One of the great features of DD-WRT is the ability to update DNS-O-Matic service, which updates dyndns,
opendns and more servers with my current IP. If you are using your PC as a webserver or if you are using openDNS service you will probably need this feature, since most of the ISPS give dynamic IPS.  So every time you connect to the internet you are given a new IP address. This is just one of the many great features of DD-WRT.
There are more features like Wifi Hotspot, VPN, SSH access, Telnet access etc. And anyway after being convinced of the reliability of DD-WRT firmware I flashed my router, and behold, it was up and running in less than three minutes.

I looked around and saw Tx Power (transmit signal strength)  adjustments. I put in the value seventy two in the input box and applied the settings. It significantly boosted the WiFi signal strength. Afterall my day was saved, and I saved huge bucks! Its time for a casual coffee with my friend :)

DD-WRT supports almost all routers out there. So turning a cheap router into an expensive and feature rich router for free is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinions are welcome here.